EK RECRUITMENT is committed to providing a safe workplace for our employees, subcontractors, suppliers, clients and associated stakeholders. The use of drugs and alcohol may impair an individual’s capacity to perform their job safely, efficiently and with respect for work colleagues and clients. The use of such substances may result in the risk of injury or a threat to the wellbeing of the impaired employee, other employees, clients of the employer as well as members of the public. For this reason it is our objective to maintain a work environment in which the safety and the optimum performance of employees is not adversely affected by the use of alcohol or other drugs.
This policy applies to all EKR workers. A worker is any person who carries out work for EKR and includes employees, contractors and subcontractors, employees of contractors or sub-contractors, employees of labour hire companies, students gaining work experience and volunteers.
Principles and Requirements
EK Recruitment are committed to maintaining and improving health and safety in the workplace, and reducing the incidence and severity of workplace accidents, injuries and illnesses.
EK Recruitment recognises that every person has the right to a safe and healthy working environment and is committed to:
- Ensuring, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of all workers while they are at work.
- Ensuring, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of other persons is not put at risk by work carried out by EK Recruitment.
- Ensure employees, subcontractors, suppliers, clients and associated stakeholders engaged on a workplace controlled by EK Recruitment are not to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs during working hours and must at all times carry out their duties and responsibilities in a safe manner.
EK Recruitment is committed to achieving the principles and requirements of this policy by:
- The Executive Leadership Team taking responsibility for the oversight of safety.
- All workers being aware of this policy and responsible for safety.
- Implementing drug testing.
- Having mandatory requirements to report drug use or suspicion of drug use.
- Implementing a rehabilitation program.
Roles and responsibilities
The Executive Leadership Team
- Ensure all workers are made aware and understand this policy.
- Risk assessments are undertaken on work tasks in consultation with workers and/or work health and safety representatives.
- Workers of behaviours are observed to ensure compliance with this policy.
- Proactive and practical response of any concerns and/or issues to ensure the health and safety of all workers.
- Provide support to workers where appropriate.
- Any suspected breaches of this policy are acted on promptly and in accordance with this poliy.
A worker must:
- Comply with this policy and observe all directions from EK Recruitment in regards to this policy.
- Recognise that performance of duties could be affected by drugs or alcohol.
- Immediately notify management if they are aware of any breach of this policy by another worker. Subject to any disclosures required by law, any notifications received by management will be treated confidentially. Failure to report any breach of this policy by another worker may itself constitute a breach of this policy.
A worker must not:
- Attend work, commence work, continue work or return to work having consumed alcohol and/or drugs.
- Must not possess, distribute, sell, use or consume illegal drugs in the workplace.
- Work while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Attend work, commence or return to work while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Consume alcohol and/or drugs during work, or at the workplace.
Drug and alcohol testing
Testing EK Recruitment may require workers to undergo testing for the presence of drugs or alcohol in the following circumstances with or without prior notice:
- If the Company suspects, on reasonable grounds, that a worker is under the influence of drugs or alcohol in breach of this policy.
- Upon finding evidence that a worker has used, possessed, sold, solicited or transferred drugs whilst in the workplace or while on company property.
- Where the Company finds drugs or alcohol in the workplace in breach of this policy.
- Upon receipt of a report of drug or alcohol use, provided by a reliable and credible source and confirmed by investigation, in breach of this policy.
- Upon obtaining evidence that a worker has interfered with, tampered with, falsified or destroyed an Alcohol Screen Test or Drug Screen Test.
- Where a worker has previously received a positive Alcohol Screen Test or Drug Screen Test and has refused to undergo a Confirmatory Test, he/she shall be required to undergo subsequent testing.
- Where a worker has previously received a Confirmatory Test result confirming the use of Illegal drugs or alcohol in breach of this policy, he/she shall be required to undergo subsequent testing.
- Where a worker notifies the Company that he/she has a drug or alcohol problem.
- Where a worker is taking prescription or pharmacy drugs which may affect their ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of their position in an efficient, competent and safe manner, without risk to the health, Welfare or safety of the worker, or others in the workplace.
- Where the worker holds a position in the Company in which the use of drugs or alcohol by that worker in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of that position would pose a risk to the health, welfare or safety of that worker, others in the workplace.
- Post Incident or Near-miss
- Where the investigation of an incident or near-miss determines that the worker’s actions may have been impaired due to the use of drugs or alcohol, or the worker was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- When the company is performing random testing a worker, or group of worker’s are randomly selected by the Company or an Authorised Officer to undergo a Drug Screen test and/or Alcohol Screen test.
Consent and privacy
A worker, who is required to undertake a Drug Screen Test and/or Alcohol Screen Test, will be requested to sign a consent form before taking a Drug Screen test and/or Alcohol Screen test.
Any employee consuming prescription drugs must consult with their doctor to establish if the use of the drug will impact on their performance and daily activities including the operation of machinery. EKF executive leadership team are to be notified and suitable duties will be arranged.